Tuesday, April 3, 2007

On the Precipice and Beyond



"Hope is a place somewhere between take off and landing." While I could dissect this for hours upon hours, and deeply analyze what may, in fact, be somewhat superficial, I am taking this quote in a simple and pure way. For me, in these days, in these hours of urgency, hope is, most assuredly, being found in the "in between".

Things are shifting-the spiritual atmosphere that has been stagnant from my small perspective seems to be whipping and whirling in a way that astounds me. I could certainly have continued, however deeply despaired, in pursuing and persisting in prayer and seeking the deep of depths without feeling the Lord's presence, without that emotional response that so lovingly wraps around me and gently tugs my heart, leading me to a place of unfathomable humility. It's that feeling, those sentiments of intimacy when I am refreshed and restored. I say I could have because I thought I was unshakable. I knew it was never about me, or my feelings-I was being stripped and pressed to see how far I would go-

" All night long on my bed
I looked for the one my heart loves;
I looked for him but did not find him.

I will get up now and go about the city,
through its streets and squares;
I will search for the one my heart loves.
So I looked for him but did not find him."


I saw His moving, I saw the beginings of things I couldn't comprehend, yet I missed His presence, I longed for it so desperately. I drank deeply of His word, as it laid a treasure map for my soul to catch His.

And then in walks grace. Deep, grace. It has been an exhausting journey. I wasn't looking for it. It was merely a word I had tossed about in an ironic fit of self righteousness for others circumstances. But He is grace. The purest of grace can only be motivated in love, as He stands in love, so He is composed of grace. It filled this chasm in me, where I could feel my very essence eroding- But it was an essence of pride and many other afflictions which have now been replaced with grace. I feel it, I'm begining to move in it! How amazing is the Holy One of Israel that He not only gives rich grace beyond measure, but that in doing so, and being filled with it, we in turn, may act in it as He has in us?

My desperate plea is that I love the Lord, with all my heart, all my mind and all my soul. His gracious nature is to remove the things that hinder my ability to do so, even without pomp and circumstance, without me knowing it's even happening. He's healing me in order to answer other desires. Wow. He blows my mind.

I'm on the precipice of something dynamic. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve it. I'm going to jump, and I'm taking the Lord's great invitation to see and move as He Himself moves...that is, that I may act in grace in the lives of others.

" Come with me from Lebanon, my bride,
come with me from Lebanon.
Descend from the crest of Amana,
from the top of Senir, the summit of Hermon,
from the lions' dens
and the mountain haunts of the leopards."

I adore Him.

1 comment:

dave workman said...

Jillian,

Isn't intimacy with God always its own reward? And yet it's the toughest thing many of us (or at least me) struggle with.

In the immortal words of David Lee Roth, "Go ahead, jump".

And thanks for the dessert...